Business Affiliate ProgramsCouponsPersonalsAdvertisingShopping

Saturday, February 23, 2008

I want to be a Local!

Local 16
1602 U Street NW
(202)-265-2828

U Street is clearly the up and coming spot to mingle and party in DC. If U Street were a kingdom, Local 16 would undoubtedly be its Crown Prince. No bar, yet, has surprised and excited me as much as Local 16. Assuming this was a lesser-known spot that will SOON be popular I was sorely mistaken; Local 16 IS popular. Pulling up in the cab to a seemingly unassuming building I was overjoyed to see a crowd outside. There’s a reason people want to go to a bar, if there’s a crowd, it usually means there’s something special. The crowd was rowdy as there was no proper line formed and it was more of a “whoever gets to the doorman first gets in” type of place. Being a fan of friendly competition this was a fun way to enter a bar, and our gang had already made friends before entering. Big plus.



Inside, Local 16 has a sultry, sexy feel with red walls, stunning chandeliers, live plants; very bohemian couture. There are two rooms downstairs, the first housing the main bar that is pretty expansive. The next room has a tamer vibe, think gauzy drapes, low tables, and candlelight and yet the mood was energetic and flirtatious. The place was absolutely packed and my first thought was, “yikes, this reminds me of all the places I try and avoid”. However, the crowd was friendly, and there were no drunken idiots shouting “Don’t Stop Believin” next to me. The number of attractive patrons at this bar blew me away. Where have you people been hiding? The guys were casual but nicely dressed and the girls were certainly out to impress.

We picked up a drink at the bar and chatted with the bartender (who was awesome). The drinks were reasonably priced at $6 a pop and they had a wide array of specialty cocktails, with some pretty delicious sounding martinis. After giving the place a thorough once-over we decided to venture upstairs. Narrow wooden stairs led to the second floor and I will admit it was a bit of a squeeze climbing up, especially with intoxicated girls wobbling down on their four-inch heels. Upstairs was an entirely different vibe and I was stunned by how much this place was surprising me. Dark walls dim lighting and a minimalist bar in the corner combined with loud dance music was a perfect contrast to the lounge vibe downstairs. As Tonic notes, “It smells like sweaty people preparing to hook up.... and I love it”. Although there were definitely lots of female/male bonding on the dance floor there was a certain quality of innocence here that made this a more mature place to meet someone. Call me a hopeless romantic but I felt like this could be one of the few bars in the district where a drunken conservation could lead to a legitimate date.

We entered the room and pretty instantaneously were greeted by a group of intelligent, good-looking guys. Obviously, I was impressed but as I looked around I realized this was a rare quality about Local 16. People were actually talking to each other. And, they looked like they were enjoying each other’s company. I got the feeling that if I got to know virtually everyone in the bar, we’d all get along just fine. Camaraderie at a bar is unique. Suffice to say, I’m impressed.

Our trip to the bathroom was as comfortable as it could be. The woman’s bathroom had virtually no line and was massive and extremely clean. Each time someone opened the door, they said something along the lines of “Wow.... this is a really nice bathroom.” Impressive bathrooms? Now that’s a feat. Touché, Local 16, Touché.

One thing I wish we had the opportunity to check out at Local 16 is the outdoor patio. I have heard rave reviews about the amazing outdoor patio. Come warm weather, we will be out in full force to check this out.

Every time we venture out to a bar on U. Street I come back saying, “I’m never going to Georgetown/Adams Morgan again.” Local 16 was no exception. In fact, at least for now, this is my favorite spot in the district to drink and dance. In short, not visiting Local 16 would be a travesty. So get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You guys all have such cool nicknames, maybe a drinking nickname generator on here? Anyways, great meeting you both Friday it definitely made the already interesting local 16 that much better, heres my email so we can hangout again sometime dedalat1@jhu.edu, Dariush